Where to go in summer 2019
Each summer we wonder where to spend our days relaxing. We search the Web, Instagram and Facebook for inspiration and tips. So, this year we decided to create our own list of top European summer destinations for 2019. Keep on reading to find out our favorites!
1. Dubrovnik, Croatia
This jewel will leave you speechless, believe me. Dubrovnik is one of the best-preserved medieval cities with its ancient walls, baroque buildings and labyrinthine streets. The incredible thing we love about this city is that you can find something for everyone, whether it is lying on the beach, walking through botanical gardens or admiring the ancient walls. You will find scary cliffs (if you dare to jump from heights to the sea), enjoy sightseeing of Old Town during sunset, explore neighboring islands (Lokrum, Koločep and many more) or go snorkeling. Additional amazement factor: Game of Thrones was filmed in Dubrovnik, so if you are a fan you can go on a Game of Thrones tour. Furthermore, if you are in Dubrovnik and want to explore Croatia even more, make sure to check our blog about Croatia.
Must see in Dubrovnik
- Orlando’s Column – according to the legend, in the 9th century Orlando and his fleet saved Dubrovnik from a 15 month long Saracen siege),
- City Bell Tower – built in 1444, but after the earthquake in 1667, the Bell tower started leaning in the manner of the leaning tower of Pisa and in 1929 it was deemed to be unsafe and was demolished only to be replaced by a new Bell Tower built according to the same design,
- Sponza Palace – one of the most beautiful palaces in Dubrovnik,
- Pile Gate,
- Fort Lovrijenac – a fort built on a 37 meters high rock,
- City walls – main attraction of Old Town, City walls run uninterrupted for 1940 meters (6365 feet) encircling Dubrovnik,
- Franciscan Monastery,
- Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary – Romanesque styled Cathedral crumbled to dust in the Great Earthquake of 1667; during renovations another Cathedral was discovered under the foundations of the old Romanesque Cathedral.
2. Malaga, Spain
Spain’s cosmopolitan destination full of brilliant art galleries has amazing nightlife and is a heaven for foodies. Beaches of Malaga (Playa de Chullera, Estepona, Playa Puerto Banus and many more) are pure perfection for lying around and relaxing. On the other hand, if you want to enjoy nightlife you should head out to Mitjana Square. And if you are a foodie (like me) you should most definitely check El Palo’s old fishing district for some amazing seafood.
Must see in Malaga
- Picasso Museum – full of Picasso’s original work
- Gibralfaro Castle – sits on a high hill overlooking Malaga city and port, dates back to the 10th century
- Alcazaba – fortress palace is one of the city’s historical monuments,
- Roman Theatre – oldest monument in Malaga, built in the first century BC, under Emperor Augustus, and was used until the third century AD,
- Playa de Chullera – 700 meters long stony beach with famously clear water (+ visit the beach restaurant for a simple meal or drinks)
3. Cinque Terre, Italy
One of the most popular Instagram locations in the world and UNESCO World Heritage site, this is a site of 5 colorful villages in Italy. No wonder we had to include it in our top European summer destinations for 2019. The villages are (north to south) Monterosso al Mare, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, and Riomaggiore. The location of the villages is accessible only via train or boat, but the train connections are really good, so no need to worry. If you love hiking, this is a perfect place for you, but don’t forget to bring your comfortable shoes because you will be hiking through cliffs. Soak up the local atmosphere and sample local, fresh seafood, swim in the blue sea and enjoy the colorful streets and houses.
Must see in Cinque Terre
- Monterosso al Mare,
4. Reykjavik, Iceland
Reykjavik is Iceland’s vibrant capital with quirky culture and vibrant buildings and raw, icy wilderness in the background. One of our favourite things in Reykjavik is Laugardalslaug and Árbæjarlaug for swimming and hot tubs. Furthermore, on the southern part of the city you can enjoy coastal rowing or whale watching at Faxaflói. Nonetheless, if you prefer hiking, go to Öskjuhlíð.
Must see in Reykjavik
- The Reykjavik Settlement Exhibition – based on the archaeological excavation of the ruin of one of the first houses in Iceland and findings from other excavations in the city center,
- Grótta Lighthouse – small lighthouse at the north-westernmost point of Reykjavik, perfect place to enjoy the outdoors,
- Tjörnin – lake in central part of the city,
- Einar Jónsson Art Museum,
- Reykjavík Botanical Gardens
5. Santorini, Greece
Last but not least of our top European summer destinations, Santorini, a perfect location for romantic travelers or couples. This Greek island is an enchanting combination of sun, sea, sea breezes and white-blue houses. The sunsets at Oia (one of the villages, the most popular one) are definitely some of the most beautiful in the world. The villages to definitely visit are Fira and Oia. You should also visit Red and Black beach to see different results volcanic eruption has left and you can do this if you go hiking and snorkeling. Volcano hiking and hot springs are also some of the things this beautiful island has to offer. Again, if you are a foodie, you will feel like you are in heaven in Greece.
Must see in Santorini
- Cave houses
- Caldera bay
- Villages Fira and Oia
- Volcano tour
- Everything outdoor
- Black beach
- Red beach
Other posts by Surprise Journeys
In case you get only 24 hours in this enchanting city and want to make most of it, we created this suggested itinerary. Keep on reading and you will see what to do, where to eat and other interesting bits about Istanbul (well, at least the short version).
Planning to travel to Croatia? Or you already decided to go for it? Here is our suggested travel itinerary for anyone who wants to travel to Croatia this spring.
Recently TripAdvisor published their list of best hotels in the world in 2019 as chosen by travelers. Based on their list for Europe we created a short guide for Top 10 hotels in Europe with a bit more details (like prices).